10 Ways to Pay Tribute to James Dean Today
59 years ago today, a car accident between a Porsche 550 Spyder and Ford Tudor established a pop-culture mile marker; at approximately 5:45 PM on a California highway, the world lost James Dean. However, in return we came out of the dust with a counterculture icon who symbolizes badassery and rock n roll. Here are our top 10 ways to let your inner rebel out to play.
1. Rock the Jim Stark look. This video will show you how to recreate the legendary coif http://youtu.be/DgfYu7GqIs8. Throw on a leather jacket and cuffed jeans. If DIY isn’t your speed, let the professionals handle it.
Get the cut at:
755 N Fairfax Ave
West Hollywood, CA 90046
Get the duds at:
7575 Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA
2. Take a scenic drive on Mulholland or PCH. Jay Leno is an expert on this subject; let him drive you through it: http://youtu.be/T6yUSQ9_f8A
3. Visit the Peterson; it’s one of the largest automotive museums in the world.
Peterson Automotive Museum
6060 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90036
4. Watch a James Dean film; he was a movie star after all. We have a few recommendations, two of which don’t actually star James Dean; a biopic where James Franco plays James Dean, and the other is like a 93-minute, tripped-out love song to the mysterious actor.
Rebel Without A Cause (1955)
A rebellious young man with a troubled past comes to a new town, finding friends and enemies. The infamous fight scene at the Griffith Observatory is in this movie.
James Dean (2001)
This made-for-tv biopic stars James Franco as James Dean. In our opinion it’s the best James Dean biopic out there. It’s an HBO movie but this one is especially hard to find
Joshua Tree, 1951: A Portrait of James Dean (2012)
It isn’t exactly a biopic but do yourself a favor and see this, the imagery is striking and the scenes will transport you into a different space. Play the trailer, you’ll understand.
Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson and James Dean… boom! Also Texas and Dennis Hopper and a bunch of horses and oil.
5. Take a picture with the bust of James Dean and the Hollywood sign in the same shot, you know, for your new Ello profile pic. http://www.griffithobservatory.org/exhibits/bexterior.html
6. Window shop for your own Porsche 550 Spyder.
Heritage Classics Motorcars
8980 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069
7. Read “Surviving James Dean.” It was written by his roommate and pal, William Bast, who was totally crushing on Jim. Bill dishes on a short fling the guys shared and explores Jim’s bisexuality. http://www.booksoup.com/book/9781569802984
8. Watch Paula Abdul’s “Rush Rush” Video. It’s based on Rebel Without A Cause and Keanu Reeves plays the James Dean character. http://youtu.be/yqyIaNWP0T0
9. Take a method acting class. You know you want to.
The Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute
7936 Santa Monica Blvd
West Hollywood, CA 90046
10. Visit one of his former hangouts. The Formosa was founded in 1925 and it has a long history of celebrity customers because it’s next to a couple of movie studios in West Hollywood. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formosa_Cafe
7156 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90046
11. Here’s a bonus, it’s the campiest choice and it’s my personal favorite. West Hollywood is no stranger to drag shows; we have them just about every night. James Dean (“Jimmy Dean”) makes it in Madonna’s lyrics to Vogue. Go see a drag show tonight and chances are you might here the song. http://youtu.be/GuJQSAiODqI?t=3m46s
Dreamgirls Revue at Rage
8911 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood, CA 90069
Written by Agustin Cruz